Why this GPP TOT?
The aim of this TOT programme is to make participants:
- familiar with the EU GPP policy, its legal and regulatory framework, and the contents of the GPP Toolkit of the European Commission's DG Environment
- able to use the EC GPP common criteria for 10 priority product and service groups when tendering
- able to design, run and evaluate awareness-raising events and dissemination activities for GPP in their home countries and to make them effective
- network and share good GPP practice.
The experts are appointed by key national intuitions for GPP. They are responsible for GPP policy making, implementation, guidance and training.
They are a mixture of environmental and procurement specialists from ministries of the environment, ministries of finance, national procurement authorities and national environmental agencies.
The TOT programme is an intensive, blended learning course with two components: a distance learning phase using an e-learning platform and a face-to-face TOT Seminar at the ITCILO campus in Turin.
For the first GPP TOT, the timetable was:
- Distance learning phase: 1 June to 3 July 2009
- GPP TOT seminar: 7 to 9 July 2009
The second GPP TOT course was scheduled as follows:
- Distance learning phase: 30 November 2009 to 3 February 2010
- GPP TOT seminar: 15 to 19 February 2010
The training programme covers four learning topics. They are explored both during the distance learning and the TOT seminar in Turin.
For each topic, the national experts need to study relevant references, prepare assignments, give presentations and work in groups with their colleagues:
- Topic 1: Facilitation Methods and Techniques for GPP Awareness-Raising/Dissemination Events. Provides participants with guidelines on how to design, run and evaluate in-country GPP awareness raising activities.
- Topic 2: The EU GPP Policy Framework and the Key Elements of GPP National Action Plans
Introduces participants to the EU Policy Framework for GPP and to the key elements of a GPP national action plan.
- Topic 3: The EU GPP Legal Framework
Introduces the participants to the legal and regulatory frameworks for GPP. Participants are guided through the contents of the legal documents, EC directives, communications, regulations and selected case law which has evolved on GPP at the EU level.
- Topic 4: The EC Purchasing Recommendations - the GPP Core and Comprehensive Criteria for 10 products/services categories
Introduces the participants to the purchasing recommendations (core and comprehensive criteria) for 10 priority product groups identified by the EC/DG ENV, as presented in Module 3 of the EC GPP Toolkit.
Both training of trainers’ programmes were very successful. The participants were satisfied and expressed appreciation of the input by the ITCILO experts and the sharing of experience with their colleagues. They are now expected to spread and embed learning within their own organizations to produce a multiplier effect for GPP in their home countries.
At the end of the programme, participants were awarded the EC-ITCILO “Training of Trainers for GPP Dissemination and Awareness-raising in the EU” Certificate, which outlines the objectives and contents of the two phases of the training (distance learning and face-to-face) and the types of activity undertaken by the participants throughout the programme.